Monday, August 30, 2010

Canon X Mark I Premium White Desktop Calculator (3982B006) Best Quality


The reason I bought this calculator is that it looks nice. It has a large keypad and a clear display. Sounds perfect for a general purpose calculator, right?

For the purpose of this review, I am evaluating it from a basic office use scenario.

PROS:
This looks like an Apple product. Even the packaging, the wrapped cellophane, the included case and the laser etched back look like an Apple product. Form is king.


CONS:
The biggest problem, in my opinion, is that it lacks an exponent function. I assumed that it included this function but completely missing. Instead it includes Sell, Buy, and Margin buttons to perform basic arithmetic tasks. It even has two ways to erase your data entry. It devotes 5 buttons to nearly useless tasks and cannot perform exponent calculations. Wow.

Second, the included case is crap. It is nearly useless as it is so tight fitting that it is hard to get the calculator in and out for the first few weeks. It is a cheap material that is too stiff to be used for this purpose.

Of course, since the case fits too tightly, it quickly scratches the display. It is a shame to spend $30 on a BASIC calculator that focuses on form more than function - and then have the calculator screen quickly scratch.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Know what you're getting: a basic calculator that cannot replace a scientific or financial calculator. This device still fits 80% of my needs, but I cannot put away my scientific calculator because I need it to solve some common calculations.

It isn't a bad calculator, but the included functions severely limit this device's utility.Get more detail about Canon X Mark I Premium White Desktop Calculator (3982B006).

No comments:

Post a Comment